The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowships is available to sponsor early postdoctoral research training for three years in all basic biomedical sciences in 2021.
To accomplish its ultimate objective of increasing the amount of creative, well-trained and devoted medical scientists, the Foundation awards financial assistance of sufficient duration to assist in furthering the careers of young men and women involved in biological or medical research.
The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation was founded and funded by Mrs. Charles S. Payson, the past Joan Whitney, in 1947, and christened in honor of her mother, Helen Hay Whitney. Initially established to motivate and support research in the field of rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease, the Foundation eventually broadened its interests to comprise diseases of connective tissue and, eventually, all basic biomedical sciences.
Worth of Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowships
- The Foundation awards funds for travel to the fellowship program location at the time of start of the fellowship program for the Fellow and his or her family.
- This fellowship program provides an allowance of $163,000 across three years, and also $4,500 across three years for research costs (like lab supplies, computers, etc.).
- There is a Dependent Child Stipend of $1,500 each year for each child. There is no stipend awarded for a spouse. If a fellowship program is granted and the Fellow informs them that he or she is qualified for the Dependent Child Allowance, they will then ask for a copy of the birth or adoption certificate(s). Award of the child stipend will be made on the fellowship program start date, and yearly thereafter.
- Based on the start date of the fellowship program, stipend disbursement are made semi-yearly by the Foundation to the administering institution. Fellows in training overseas will obtain quarterly allowance payments directly.
Eligibility for Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowships
- Applicants who possess, or are in the last stages of getting a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree program and are seeking to start postdoctoral training in basic biomedical research are qualified to apply for a fellowship program.
- The Foundation takes applications from applicants who possess no more than one year of postdoctoral research experience at the time of the closing date for handing in the application, and who have obtained a PhD (or D.Phil. or equivalent) degree no more than two years prior to the closing date, or an M.D. degree no more than three years prior to the closing.
- Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowships may be granted to US nationals planning to work in laboratories either in the United States, Canada, or overseas and also to foreign nationals for research in laboratories in the United States only.
- They require that most candidates will live in North America at the period of application. Foreign candidates will have to obtain relevant visa documentation, as mandated by US Immigration.
- Applications from renowned scientists or advanced fellows will not be given consideration. The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowships are available for early postdoctoral training only. Clinical house-staff training is not the same as, and will not count as “postdoctoral laboratory training.”
- The Foundation will not normally give consideration to candidates who plan tenure of the fellowship program in the laboratory in which they have already obtained extensive pre-doctoral or postdoctoral training. The objective of the fellowship program is to widen postdoctoral training and experience, and a substantial change of venue is recommended.
- Since the amount of obtainable fellowships is not unlimited, the Foundation does not award more than one award each year for training with a particular supervisor. It also does not allow over two fellows per laboratory at one time.
- The Foundation requires that fellowship program training will be received in an academic environment. The choosing of a commercial or industrial laboratory for the training program is not acceptable.
How to Apply for Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowships
Applications for the Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowships are to be completed and handed in online at www.hhwf.org.
Applications have to be gotten by The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation latest by June 15, 2021. Late applications will not be given consideration.